Saturday, December 31, 2011

My Best and Worst Films of 2011

I'm baaaaaack. Yes, I know it has been forever, but I recently finished up graduate school, and one of MY new year's resolutions is to write weekly, so no worries. There will be more Firestones on Film.

With so many people coming up with their lists of the best and worst films of the year, I thought I should give my votes. Keep in mind that there are several films I still want to see, but of what I have seen, this is my list:

The Best:

1. Beginners
In my opinion, this is the best and most underrated film of the year. I found it beautiful and understated. Also, its tagline, "This is what love feels like," really does sum up the movie. I much preferred Beginners to Thumbsucker, the other film by writer/director Mike Mills.

2. Crazy, Stupid Love
This film is fantastic for the complex simplicity of some of its scenes. The chemistry between all of the actors is brilliant. Love it.

3. Like Crazy
I love different films, and this was definitely one of them. There was great chemistry between the actors and a realism to it. Fantastic, and once again, underrated.

4. Hesher
Okay, this one may be less for the film itself and more for my love of Joseph Gordon-Levitt. Regardless, Hesher is a film that definitely goes against the grain, and despite how hardcore it is, it's actually emotionally touching.

5. The Descendants
Another year, this probably wouldn't have made this list, but we're running low this year...not sure why, but it seems 2011 didn't bring the punch it should have.

The Worst:

1. Just Go with It
My mother rented this one day to watch as a family. We all agreed it was terrible. I had to watch The Wedding Singer to cleanse myself of bad Adam Sandler.

2. Your Highness
This movie should have been SO GOOD! Zooey Deschanel, James Franco, Natalie Portman, and director David Gordon Green...it seemed like a promise of something epic. But no. It was unbelievably terrible. I want my money and my time back...

3. Bad Teacher
Jason Segal gave us The Muppets, which is an honorable mention of a best movie, so I guess I will forgive him for this terrible film. I still don't understand what we're supposed to think at the end of this...any help?

4. Rise of the Planet of the Apes
All I ask is that we STOP with the apes...if Charlton Heston isn't telling apes to keep their hands off them, I'm not interested.

5. Something Borrowed and No Strings Attached
I just couldn't decide between which of these romantic comedies was worse...Do I want little girls to think the way to get a man is to have sex with him repeatedly? Or do I want little girls to learn that you should ignore your good guy best friend and chase after the hot jerk who is cheating on his fiance with you? Just so hard to decide...

The Worst of the Worst:
These were the movies that I knew would be so bad that I didn't bother seeing them...enjoy.

1. Twilight: Breaking Dawn Part One
Many critics have said this is the worst Twilight film. To me, that's similar to pointing out the least talented Kardashian or the worst Nicholas Cage role. I want none of it...

2. Jack and Jill
Adam Sandler has fallen so hard...did anyone actually think this would be funny?

3. Bucky Larson: Born to be a Star
See above...

4. I Don't Know How She Does It
I don't want to know how she does it...it looks terrible.

5. New Years Eve
Can we please start making original films instead of stealing ideas from other people? Love Actually was fantastic, but Valentines Day and now this? Just stop...

Hopefully, 2012 will bring better films. In the next few days, I will be discussing what films I'm looking forward to next year. Have a happy New Year and BE SAFE!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment