Sunday, November 6, 2011

I love this movie Like Crazy


Thank you, 2011, for finally releasing a movie that I waited for with anticipation and by which I was not, in the least, let down.  I realize almost two months remain in this calendar year and 'tis the season for Oscar hopefuls, but I have yet to see a trailer that I think will hold a candle to the recently released film, Like Crazy.

Several months ago I came across a film trailer for Like Crazy. I had heard nothing of the movie prior to that moment (I am sadly behind in my Sundance news), but I was immediately drawn in by the authenticity and raw emotion I saw in the trailer which, in and of itself, is a beautiful piece of art. I began to wait eagerly for the day this film would bring its heartfelt images to a theater near me.

And so, this afternoon, I joined a theater full of movie-goers to see Like Crazy on opening weekend. The movie had me at its artistic hello. I immediately fell in love with the lead characters (played so genuinely by Felicity Jones and Anton Yelchin). The chemistry they share, from the first awkward date, to the height of their romance, to the pain of any real relationship, is absolutely spellbinding. While some movies filmed without a script can seem forced or slow, Jones and Yelchin combine an ability to connect with each other and the audience with an excellent grasp on timing and execution to produce two of the most honest and engaging performances of the year.

In addition, thanks to director Drake Doremus' cinematographic eye, Like Crazy is filled with captivating shots and brilliant lighting. The major use of hand-held cameras adds to the realism of the on-screen relationship and practically demands that viewers enter into the story, that they feel as if they, too, are part of this relationship. And if real life had a soundtrack, I can only hope it would sound like the music in this film.

All in all, the title of this post is true. I love this movie LIKE CRAZY.

No comments:

Post a Comment