Tuesday, May 10, 2011

My additions to Lizzi's "Mommy Post"

First of all, I'm very glad Mrs. Bates from Psycho was on Lizzi's list. She was THE first person who came to mind when I read the subject of the post. She's creepy. But I also have a few more that came to my mind:

1. Mrs. Bennett from Pride and Prejudice (yes, a book made into a movie, as so many are).
She's not scary but she is devastatingly irritating. I'm pretty sure I would have either slapped her silly for all her annoying, whiny nonsense or I would have run away from home when I was teenager in order to get away from it all. Hm, I guess I need to rethink how much I judge Lydia for her decisions...

2. Mrs. White (Carrie's mom) in Carrie.
I have never been so scared by a movie mother in my life. And that's including Mrs. Bates.  I'm not sure if it's her psycho religiosity, insane abusive tendencies, or wildly crazy hair that scare me the most. Mrs. White is verbally, emotionally, and physically abusive. She considers her daughter the curse placed on her for having sex with her husband. And she treats her the way one would expect someone to treat a curse. At one point, she literally beats Carrie with the Bible because she gets her first period, and then drags her, kicking and screaming, into the closet and locks her in it. Unfortunately, that's not even the worst of what she does to Carrie. But it gives me the shivers just thinking about it, so I need to move on.

3. Mrs. Robinson from The Graduate
She may have had a song written for her, but she wins no "Mother of the Year" awards. I don't think anyone will wonder why I'd rather not have a mother who sleeps with my boyfriend. Or a boyfriend who sleeps with my mother for that matter. But that's another post.

I probably have more in my head somewhere, but right now I'm so creeped out by the memory of Carrie that I need to go watch Arrested Development so I don't have nightmares. Yes, I am just that sensitive to the images in my head.

1 comment:

  1. Speaking of Arrested Development, Lucille is a pretty terrible mom.

    ReplyDelete