Saturday, May 7, 2011

Thank GOD That's Not My Mother

I'm certain that all of you know that Mother's Day is Sunday. This is a day in which we celebrate our wonderful mothers and thank them for everything they have done for us. Unfortunately, not everyone has mothers worthy of such a celebration. I thought I would discuss some of the worst mothers in movies so that you can be thankful that your mother is not so terrible (I know I am...I love you, mom!)

While there are spoilers, I can say I only included them on those that are based on true stories (mainly Savage Grace). You can skip over them if you wish, but you most likely know the story.

The Queen/Witch from Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
Disney has a definite issue with stepmothers, so I'm pretty sure I could create an entire list out of these films if I so desired. Instead, let me just state the oldest. It's generally not motherly to hire someone to kill your stepdaughter just because your mirror says she is more beautiful than you.

Barbara Baekeland from Savage Grace
Let all mothers take note: If your son tells you he is gay, do not try to "fix" him. Just accept that is who he is. Your attempts will fail and put you in compromising positions (such as having sex with your own son) and possibly lead to him murdering you.

Norma Bates from Psycho
Sometimes mothers are overprotective. Mothers who kill people and then make their sons clean up their messes...not good people. And after all, "A boy's best friend is his mother."

Ingrid Magnussen from White Oleander
Killing your boyfriend and therefore leaving your daughter as a ward of the state is never a good motherly move. However, I will say that I do not recommend this movie, as the book is much better, so go read the book.

Joan Crawford from Mommie Dearest
"NO WIRE HANGERS!!!" You can't have a worst moms list without including Joan Crawford. I watched this film after studying social work and I managed to count a double digit number of reasons I could remove her children. Stay away...

You should all check out the blog of a great mother, ours, over here. It's about quilting. Comment and wish her a Happy Mother's Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment