Monday, June 20, 2011

A Formal Letter to Paramount

Paramount Pictures,

I would like to discuss with you the matter of Ordinary People and the lack of DVDness. I first saw this film a few years ago and fell in love. However, I rarely purchase a film after only seeing it once. I need to watch it a second time to know how often I will see it. So, in this interim, you pulled it from the market. I noticed this, and it was sometime in 2009. I remember the date because I thought to myself, "Well, it was released in 1980, so maybe they're releasing a 30 year edition next year and I can get it then."

However, 2010 came and went without a new DVD of this remarkable film. And to this day, in 2011, I have no way of watching it whenever I want. It is not even available on Netflix. Now, I understand the lack of availability with certain films I love. After all, how many people have heard of The Chumscrubber, The United States of Leland, or Mean Creek, let alone want to own these films. But Ordinary People was the Best Picture winner in 1981 and the directorial debut of Robert Redford. It doesn't seem like a movie that few people would be interested in owning.

Paramount, I would just like to plead with you to re-release this film. I cannot find it anywhere and I have the urge to watch it fairly often. If you do this, I can promise you I will purchase it, full price even, and I'm sure others will do the same. Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,
Lizzi

P.S. If you could also talk to ABC and/or Warner Brothers about getting The Wonder Years on DVD, I would greatly appreciate that as well. There is a void in my life without Winnie or Kevin...

No comments:

Post a Comment