Friday, September 16, 2011

When Did Summer Become All About Superheros?


Yes, I have not posted anything in an eternity. I could give you my excuses about just starting to work full time and still going to school full time and having to pack to move and barely having enough time to watch movies, let alone write about them, but I won't...because that's just a cop out, right? What I WILL discuss is the fact that summer films have made me sad. Not because they were sad films, but because there are barely any good ones.

It seems as though summer has become a time in which we can watch the big, blockbuster movies. While this is not always a negative (I'm fully excited for next summer, which will feature The Avengers and The Dark Knight Rises), it can get boring and old. I found myself watching previews and having no desire to go to the theater.

While my local, bigger theater was continuing a revolving door of superheros, the smaller venues had films that I actually cared to see. I managed to watch Hesher, which is a fantastic story of a boy grieving his mother's death and how he works through it. I also saw Beginners, which is probably the best movie released in 2011 so far. I missed a lot of other smaller films, though, because of that lack of time. The only movie that I really was dying to see that made it to the bigger theater was Crazy, Stupid, Love. Frankly, that probably would not have made it to a larger theater without the bigger names and the fact that it's somewhat of a romantic comedy.

Can't we have a little more of a variety? I find myself knowing what films will be around just based on what season it is. The end of Winter brings about mediocre romances that are getting out there for Valentine's day. Spring brings any film that wasn't good enough to fit into another season. Summer has the blockbuster hits, the superheros, and the sequels. Fall begins with indie gems and then ends with Oscar hopefuls, and of course Winter begins with Oscar hopefuls as well. I am bored with the monotony. I want a buffet of films...so Hollywood, let's work on that.

No comments:

Post a Comment