Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Actor's Month: Michelle Williams


It's sad that the ratio of women to men on a list of good actors is so completely unbalanced. But I don't know who to blame for the lack of quality female acting so, instead of going on a rant, I'll focus on the positive thing: Michelle Williams. Just thinking about her acting makes me smile. Who knew something so good could come out of Dawson's Creek?! (if you read that sentence and thought "what about Katie Holmes" we need to have a long talk about the definition of "good").

One of the things I love about Michelle is that her acting style is so authentic and understated. I don't see any of the DC melodrama about her now. My favorite role of hers (and a perfect example of her style) is definitely Cindy in Blue Valentine. As the young, unhappy wife and mother, Williams' performance is heart-wrenching because it is so unmistakably real. The role, that could have been played so over-the-top, is kept beautifully down-to-earth as we see the hopelessness and despair in her eyes, face, and body language just as we would with our best friend. We watch her painfully awkward conversations with her husband and feel like it could have come from our own kitchen. She brings an honesty to her acting that we rarely get to see in Hollywood. And I love her for it.

If I'd had my druthers, Michelle Williams would have a 2011 Oscar sitting on her mantel right now. But as we have stated oh so many times, the academy never seems to listen to us. That's alright. I'm willing to wait until she amazes us again; I'm guessing I won't have to wait too long.

3 comments:

  1. I think I've only seen her in "Species" and "Halloween H20".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah...I'm definitely talking about Michelle Williams, the later years... No so much 20th century. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Her Oscar would have been at the expense of Natlie Portman (who actually did deserve it for Black Swan). I think the real tragedy of the Best Actress Oscar this year was that Julianne Moore wasn't even nominated...

    ReplyDelete