Monday, March 7, 2011

Manic Monday Movie: High School Musical


I'm not even going to try to convince you that this movie is a "good" movie or that everyone who watches it will enjoy it. I am well aware that the acting is more than mediocre, the songs are cheesy, and the storyline is about as complicated as an episode of Teletubbies. And yet, I have watched this movie at least 7 times and have enjoyed every viewing. Yes, HSM is one of my guilty pleasures.

Why would someone who appreciates good film watch High School Musical, let alone own all three HSM movies? I'll tell you: simply because they make me happy. Most films that I would describe as "well done" or list as my favorites are emotional and/or thought provoking. But sometimes I want to sit down and watch a movie that requires neither of those things. I want to watch something that is fun and entertaining but doesn't drain me. High School Musical gives me the mental and emotional break from reality that I need.

HSM also allows me to watch on TV what I would love to have happen in real life. I'm not ashamed to admit that I would be ecstatic if my friends broke out into song and dance in the middle of a drab day, or didn't look at me like I'm crazy if I do so. I've wanted life to be a musical since I was a child and if this movie happened to me in high school, it would have been a dream come true. I wouldn't have had to satisfy my musical longings by being in stage shows, it could have just been normal life. <wishful sigh>

So, no, High School Musical is not for everyone and I wouldn't encourage just anyone to watch it.  It is for a select few adults. But, if you are a child at heart or someone who wishes life were a musical and if you can get past the mediocre acting and writing and just allow yourself to be entertained, I recommend giving this one a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment