Monday, February 21, 2011

Oscar Week: It Happened One Night


"We'll get on a merry-go-round and never get off."

It Happened One Night is one of only 3 films ever made to win the "Big Five" at the Oscars (Best Actor, Best Actress, Best Screenplay, Best Director and Best Picture). Adding to the impressiveness, it holds that title along with two very dramatic movies, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest and Silence of the Lambs. How did this romantic comedy fight its way onto that list?

First of all, the acting is incredible. I am not one who appreciates the melodramatic acting style from the good ol' days. But this 1934 movie makes it absolutely shine. Claudette Colbert does her fair share of what I consider overacting, but somehow I love her for it. She plays the role of a feisty spoiled brat perfectly and allows the shift in her character to occur slowly and naturally throughout the film. 

And Clark Gable - well, his character is pretty much an ass but he is the most lovable ass I've ever seen. IMDB describes him exactly: "Often played a virile, lovable rogue whose gruff facade only thinly masked a natural charm and goodness." I saw his dramatic ability in Gone with the Wind, but I love his silly side that exerts itself in this film. I would have fallen in love with him, too (despite the fact that he spends the entire film telling her what an idiot she is... but that's a topic for another post).

Secondly, the writing is beautifully clever. With one-liners like "I just had the unpleasant sensation of hearing you referred to as my husband" and conversations such as "Your ego is absolutely colossal," "Yeah, it's not bad. How's yours?"this film brings quirky humor to what could have been a typically formulated love story.

Thirdly, the director was creative enough to actually put some great camera angles into a romantic comedy! Shocking - who does that in a romcom?!  I was pleasantly surprised when I had several moments of "woah, that was a great shot." I also got to experience the joy of seeing some very intentional blocking which, as a theater minor, makes me ridiculously giddy. And the lighting choices? Brilliant.

I could go on for quite some time about what makes this movie spectacular. But, instead, I'll stick to the glimpse I have given you and say: "Go experience it for yourself!"

No comments:

Post a Comment