Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Oscar Week: Broadway Melody (aka Broadway Melody of 1929)

“Give My Regards to Broad’s Way”

***SPOILER ALERT***

Broadway Melody was the first “talkie” to receive the Academy Award for Best Picture. When it was released in 1929, a silent version of it was also released. But it was the talking film that was the most successful movie of the year. Despite this fact, I’ll come right out and say it:

I am not a fan of this movie.

I’m definitely a product of my generation and therefore crave authenticity. As I've mentioned before, I like movies that seem real, where the emotion is quietly convincing (or loudly convincing, as long as it's convincing). However, every actor in this movie, especially the doe-eyed innocent younger sister, felt artificial and over the top. Even Bessie Love, who was nominated for Best Actress at the Oscars that year, annoyed me.

In addition to disliking the acting style, I didn’t like the story. The film is about 2 sisters who move to New York in order to take their act to Broadway. The older sister, Hank (Bessie Love's character), is feisty and smart and always looking out for the interest of her younger sister, Queenie, who is known as the beautiful one. To make a long story short: Queenie is pretty so she makes the show but Hank doesn’t, Hank’s boyfriend Eddie falls for Queenie (and she for him), Hank gets worried that stardom is going to her sister’s head, they have a big blowup, Hank sacrificially steps back and let’s Eddie and Queenie live together happily ever after while she finds another girl to do her traveling “sister” act with. That just pissed me right off. I didn’t want Queenie to end up happy. I wanted her to end up miserable. Or at least learn a good lesson. But I didn’t write the script so it doesn't end my way. Que sera, sera.

I also did not see anything that impressed me in terms of direction, writing, music - all the things that go into making a good film. The music was mediocre and the writing seemed very basic. The directing didn't seem any to be at all stand-out to me. Others must agree with me to an extent because the film won no other awards except Best Picture.

I am surprised that this film won an award at all.  But during the transitional time of silent to talking film, I suppose I can see how this one slipped through. "It was one of the first talkies, let's give it an Oscar." It takes time to perfect such a huge transition. And it makes me incredibly thankful for the evolution of film.

2 comments:

  1. Ok, So I am in love with this blog...Firestones are definitly movie buffs!! I am wondering if your dislike of "Give my Regards..." is do to age? Yeah, it's a little cheesy and not like a contemporary movie, but it's not that bad. Do you have any old black and white movies that you love or do they all grate on you do to the age thing?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, I'm glad you are in love with our blog! That's a fun thing to hear. :)
    I definitely think that my review is based on personal preference, which has been formed by more recent movies. I love what film has become and the more subtle acting technique we use now, so it's harder for me to relate to and enjoy older films. But there are some older movies that I do really enjoy: It Happened One Night, Miracle on 34th Street, 12 Angry Men, Charade, Bringing Up Baby, and probably more that I'm not thinking of at the moment. There are just very few of them compared to the number of recent movies I like. So, yes, it probably has to do with when I was raised and what kind of movies I've grown accustomed to! If you have any older movies you enjoy, I'm always open to suggestions!

    ReplyDelete