Tuesday, January 25, 2011

It's Okay, Nolan; Hitchcock Never Won an Oscar

Throughout the years, I have lost more and more faith in award shows. There are a lot of politics that surround voting in Hollywood, which is why I take them with a grain of salt. However, I am still overjoyed with some of the Academy's choices (such as eight nominations for Inception, a nomination for Hailee Steinfeld, and a nomination for the Coen brothers for Best Director) and I am definitely angered at some...

I mean, why is Julianne Moore's name not listed under Best Actress? Granted, I am happy that votes will not be split between her and Annette Bening, but really...Moore's performance was outstanding and she deserves some recognition. Plus, while I'm pleased with Steinfeld's nomination, I don't understand why she's supporting and Bridges is leading...after all, True Grit is about Mattie, and she was Mattie. I understand that she's young, but I don't think that means she should be supporting. And Nolan is not nominated for Best Director? I hear everyone saying that he was snubbed for the Coens, but really David O. Russell and Tom Hooper are two nominees I could do without. Keep Coens, kick out one of them, and give me Nolan.

This shouldn't be too surprising, as Alfred Hitchcock, who is considered by many to be one of the greatest (if not THE greatest) directors of all time, never won an Oscar. You may not believe me and may look him up and see that he did receive one, but this was the Irving G. Thalberg Memorial Award, which in Hitchcock's case was more or less an award to apologize for never actually letting him win an Academy Award. It's utterly depressing that a director of this caliber managed to never win, though he was nominated five times. (Also, this year is actually Christian Bale's first nomination, which is kind of insane considering his performances in films such as American Psycho and The Machinist). So, Christopher Nolan, if you're feeling sad, just know that there are many greats that went their entire career without winning an Oscar. Maybe one day you too will receive the award apologizing for the Academy's failures.

EDIT: I found this article which discusses part of the problem of Academy Award nominations. So, check it out.

3 comments:

  1. I seriously love it when you rant about award shows. It always reminds me how awesome you are (as if I could ever forget). :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Neither did Kubrick. Even harder to believe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know. So far, I have not been too impressed with Kubrick...to be fair, I still have to see some of his biggest works, but Hitchcock will beat him for me.

    ReplyDelete