Thursday, October 28, 2010

Rocky Horror Picture Show

By Janni

In honor of Halloween, we shall discuss horror films for the next few days (despite the fact that neither of us have extensive knowledge of said genre).
After years of hearing Rocky Horror Picture Show mentioned but having no clue what it was about, I finally decided to watch it. I have two things to say about this film:
1.   I am not part of the cult that considers this movie a classic. Tim Curry was as scary to me in his black leather lingerie as he was when he played the creepy clown in Stephen King’s It.  Susan Sarandon’s voice was not a pleasant sound in my ears.  And, let’s face it, the movie is just raunchy and weird! 
HOWEVER
2.   I can understand why other people like it. It’s strange and outside the box. It celebrates hedonism and licentiousness, which are both quite trendy these days.  The excessive cheesiness is amusing and “Time Warp” has been embedded in my brain since I watched it. I also hear that live viewings are a one-of-a-kind experience.
All in all, I can see why some people enjoy the film, but I still would not recommend it to anyone. Allow me to suggest some horror films to watch lieu of Rocky Horror Picture Show:
1.   Scream.  Any thrasher movie that can actually be scary while completely making fun of    itself is awesome in my book.
2.   The Shining.  Jack Nicholson is creepy. Jack Nicholson going psycho in an abandoned hotel in a Stephen King novel is even creepier.
3.   The Ring.  I didn’t want to be alone in a room with a tv for weeks after seeing this.
4.   Sixth Sense.  Not sure if this is exactly a horror movie, but he sees dead people.
5.   Psycho.  One of Hitchcock’s best and the possessor of the much loved “shower scene.”
6.   28 Days Later.  This movie is so well done that I was convinced zombies were going to attack me on my drive home … and I don’t believe in zombies.

No comments:

Post a Comment