Wednesday, November 24, 2010

A Cinderella Story

By Janni


While I agree with my sister that Belle is an awesome princess, I must remain faithful to my childhood allegiances and say that Cinderella is still my favorite princess. I love the story of this average, kind, gentle, beautiful woman who serves others with all her heart and, in the end, gets to have her dreams come true. She wasn’t born into royalty, it was bestowed upon her after living a life filled with pain, loss, despicable step-relatives, and a cat named Lucifer, for goodness’ sake!

And, of course, how could my romantically-wired heart not love a fairytale where Prince Charming has a room full of women seeking his attention and yet, the moment he sees Cinderella, all those other women cease to exist for him? “His heart tells him that here, here is the maid predestined to be his bride.” Despite what most people assume, Prince Charming doesn’t fall for Cinderella just because she’s gorgeous. No doubt there were several other attractive women at the ball, but he falls for her because there is something deep inside him that testifies that this woman is the only one for him. How beautiful is that?!?!

It is not just because I’m a hopeless romantic that I like this movie.  I know some people will think I’m overspiritualizing, but Cinderella’s story reminds me that the Lord will bring beauty from ashes. God doesn't fall in love with us because we did something amazing to earn it. And though this world might feel like a pile of cinders sometimes, as Christians, we will end up in a better place, in a castle. No matter how much pain we go through or how cruel people are to us, the love of the Prince will lead us to an eternal happily ever after. And that is one magnificent, true fairytale.

No comments:

Post a Comment